Friday, October 10, 2008

Quote of the day (and a link)


I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization.
-- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

I found the quote from this Tom Friedman column on Sarah Palin's assertion that "in the middle class of America, ... that [higher taxes or asking for higher taxes or paying higher taxes] is not patriotic."

[Aside: The Wikiquotes version reads, "Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society."]

Anyway, I wanted to use this quote to link to this Freudian Slips post about an important lesson any taxman or taxwoman must learn -- the earlier the better:

... [Y]es, that one file taught me that honest taxpayers are not a realm of fiction. They exist. I may not come across them very frequently. But I should accept one when I come across.

0 Comments: