Monday, July 16, 2007

My blog's 'film rating' shouldn't constrain me from posting this quote


Running simulations is very much like masturbation. Do it often enough, and it starts to feel better than the real thing.
-- Prof. George Rose (quoted here).

The link for the quote is from this post by Guru, who's too scared to post it in full because he wants to protect his blog's "G" rating.

For the record, my blog is also G-rated (at least as of now). But that shouldn't prevent me from my pursuing my passion for freaky quotes in which academics talk dirty or bad-mouth other academics and academic fields.

3 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    Dear Abi,

    The link to my post points to your own post. After you set it right, you can remove this comment.

  2. Abi said...

    Oops, thanks for the alert about the dead link. Sorry about that.

    I'll let the comment stay, though.

  3. Rahul Siddharthan said...

    My favourite quote about simulations is from Edsger Dijkstra:

    "In the good old days physicists repeated each other's experiments, just to be sure. Today they stick to FORTRAN, so that they can share each other's programs, bugs included."

    Extending the masturbation metaphor to this scenario is left as an exercise for the reader.