Thursday, January 04, 2007

15 nanoseconds of fame


Update: The NDTV story on the 100 dollar laptop is likely to be broadcast in the India This Week tomorrow (7 January 2007) at 9:00 p.m..

Sometime ago, this Tehelka story quoted me on the 100 dollar laptops (aka OLPC or the Children's Machine XO). Yesterday, I was asked to give my comments on the same topic for an NDTV show, and my soundbites were captured on camera. I have no idea if -- and how much of -- what I said will make it to the show.

So, on NDTV one of these days (and probably on a Sunday), you may see a grumpy man looking sternly into the camera and uttering some serious (but somewhat incoherent) stuff about the 100 dollar laptops.

You have been warned. You don't want to scare your children, do you?

In any event, here's something that I wanted to say, and I have no idea how well I said it (heck, I don't even know if I said all of it!):

There is a technology appropriate for educating young children. It's called school. Not just any old school, but a school with other supporting technologies such as a classroom, a teacher, a blackboard, and yes, a toilet. An unbelievably large fraction of our children don't have access to these basic and essential technologies. We must concentrate on reaching these essential technologies to our children. This should be our priority.

We must not forget that these basic things are like bread. And we are absolutely right to say 'no' when someone comes along and says, "let them eat cake", ... and proceeds to set up a cake shop!

4 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    Abi interviewed by Noopur Basu?
    Will wait and watch!

  2. sugan said...

    Last heard, the tickets for the show have been sold out. Oh..I didnt tell..what show right..It seems the folks at IISc have decided to telecast the interview in a giant screen. There is a mini stampede to get the tickets for the show. It is obvious that people just couldnt get enough of Abi in their small TV screen.

    And Abi, I have passed on the cheque you gave to NDTV for having done the interview (you have long requesting for). OOOOps..this information is not for public consumption...sorry folks..erase it from your memory..

    OK..This is it..
    CONGRATS ABI

  3. Abi said...

    Subrahmanya: A cameraman came to our place and filmed whatever I said. He came with a bunch of questions sent to him from the (Delhi-based) reporter, asked me those questions, and I responded. I understand that this footage will be edited by the Delhi reporter to be incorporated into the story.

    Sugan: Wow, that was a grand commentary. But I would rather wait for the story to air, before saying anything further.

    In case you are worndering, the 100 dollar laptop story is to be broadcast tomorrow (Sunday) at 9:00 p.m.

  4. Anonymous said...

    very well said abi